A brief introduction to most popular proxy server software
Nowadays, more and more people use proxy server for various potential purpose as bellow:
- To hide the IP address of the client computer so that it can surf anonymous, it's mostly for security. Fox example, if a client visit yahoo via a proxy server, yahoo will get a request from the proxy server but not this client which makes it difficult for yahoo to track the client.
- To speed up Internet surfing. All requests from client computers will reach the proxy server at first. If the proxy server has cached the required resources in its local hard disk before , clients will get feedback directly from proxy server, it will be more quickly.
- To block undesired sites - black list, permit only authorized sites - white list, or some other access policy. Many work places, schools, and colleges restrict the web sites and online services by proxy server according to either sites' URL or content.
- To bypass security restrictions and filters. For example, many work offices have blocked facebook and myspace however, via a proxy server you will be able to access blocked websites easily.
- To scan outbound content, e.g., for data leak protection.
- To circumvent regional restrictions. For example, a server using IP-based geolocation to restrict its service to a certain country can be accessed using a proxy located in that country to access the service.
There are many proxy server software you can choose to build your own proxy server. Some of them are Windows OS based while some are Linux and Unix based, Some of are free while some are payment needed, some of them can work as a gateway while some can not... Here are some popular proxy server software for you:
CCProxy Proxy Server Software
An easy-to-use and powerful proxy server software. CCProxy can support broadband, DSL, dial-up, optical fiber, satellite, ISDN and DDN connections, it helps you build your own proxy server and share Internet access over LAN and WAN efficiently and easily. CCProxy can act as an HTTP, mail, FTP, SOCKS, news and telnet proxy server. It can be installed on any Windows platform and clients with various of operation systems (Windows/MAC OS/Linux/Unix/mobile phone os) can work. CCProxy has many powerful functions such as web filter, time schedule,bandwidth limitation, connection limitation, log analysis, we cache and so on. Above all, CCProxy is a free software for proxy server.
Please just download the latest version of CCProxy from our download center and try to build you own proxy server consulting this quick start.
WinGate Proxy Server Software
WinGate is a sophisticated integrated Internet gateway and communications server designed to meet the control, security and email needs of today's Internet-connected businesses. WinGate Proxy Server will share most types of Internet connection, allowing multiple users to simultaneously surf the web, retrieve their email, or use other internet programs, as if they were directly connected to the Internet.
Squid Proxy Server Software
Squid is a proxy server and web cache daemon. It has a wide variety of uses, from speeding up a web server by caching repeated requests; to caching web, DNS and other computer network lookups for a group of people sharing network resources; to aiding security by filtering traffic. Although primarily used for HTTP and FTP, Squid includes limited support for several other protocols including TLS, SSL, Internet Gopher and HTTPS.Squid was originally designed to run on Unix-like systems, but also runs well on Windows-based systems.
Nginx Proxy Server Software
Nginx is a lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy and e-mail (IMAP/POP3) proxy server software, licensed under a BSD-like license. It runs on Unix, Linux, BSD variants, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Microsoft Windows. Nginx is known for its high performance, stability, rich feature set, simple configuration, and low resource consumption. Even if you don't expect to handle thousands of simultaneous requests, you can still benefit from Nginx's high-performance and small memory footprint. Nginx scales in all directions: from the smallest VPS all the way up to clusters of servers.